Sunday, August 5, 2007

August - Photo Tip - Using Fill Flash

When do I use flash – Only when it is dark or when I am outdoors?

How about both!

One of the biggest mistakes I see amateur photographers make is not using flash. Sure everyone uses flash indoors or when it is dark but what I’m talking about is using flash outside in bright sunny conditions.

First let me say it is very important to review your owner’s manual and see how you can control the flash and not let the camera make the decision on when to use flash and when not to use flash. Today’s camera’s use a technology known as TTL or “through-the-lens” to determine when and how much flash is used. The built in light meter will not only turn on the flash but also decide how much flash is needed. Pull your owners manual and read on how to turn on your flash even when it is bright outside.

You will see most “pros” will not have the sun at their back when this seems to be what everyone is told to do. What you will see is these photographers will position the subject so the sun is not on the face of the subject. The reason for this is you want the person to not have that “squinty” look. Now once you’ve got the person in the shade or the sun is backlighting them you can now use your flash to properly expose the subject.

Take some time and practice using your flash outdoors. You will find much better pictures and much happier subjects.

The next tip we will start talking about the next question I get asked, how do I make the backgrounds blurry in my pictures.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to shoot me an email!

No comments: